Dr. Rohit Ramaswamy
Professor, Public Health Leadership Program and Department of Maternal and Child Health, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health
Faculty Director, Global Health MPH concentration, and, Director, of the Consortium for Implementation Science
Dr. Ramaswamy is a highly respected national and international expert in applying tools and methods of implementation and improvement science to better the quality of public health programs and to strengthen hospital and health service delivery processes. He is Professor, Public Health Leadership Program and Department of Maternal and Child Health, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health; Faculty Director, Global Health MPH concentration, and, Director, of the Consortium for Implementation Science.
His area of expertise is in enhancing the operational excellence of organizations, especially around the tools and methods of process management, Lean Six Sigma, quality systems, organizational change, knowledge management, and qualitative and quantitative analysis to improve the quality of organizational processes and programs. He works in Ghana, Kenya, South Africa and the United States, helping facilities and communities learn the tools of applied implementation and continuous quality improvement. He is a Six Sigma Master Black Belt (MBB) and has trained and certified MBBs around the world.
Some specific areas of interest are:
- Developing organizational strategies for competitive excellence based on an analysis of customer/stakeholder needs and of the market
- Designing cross-functional enterprise processes and measurement systems to deliver and sustain strategic performance requirements
- Designing qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods to evaluate organizational performance and quality
- Supporting adoption of successful organizational practices through the process and organizational designs needed to facilitate effective knowledge sharing
- Developing on-line and face-to-face educational programs on quality improvement, process management, Lean Six Sigma, statistical analysis, knowledge management and organizational development
Dr. Ramaswamy has also been a consultant to corporations and non-profits, working in the areas of innovative program design, quality improvement, implementation science and change management. Over the past 15 years, Dr. Ramaswamy has helped companies and NGOs design, improve, measure, monitor and evaluate processes to improve outcomes and to increase efficiencies. His clients have included non profits such as the Educational Testing Service, ACT, CARE USA, UNDP and VA Hospitals as well as corporations such as Blue Cross Blue Shield, General Electric, AT&T, Coca-Cola, Merrill Lynch, PriceWaterhouse-Coopers and Goldman Sachs.
Dr. Ramaswamy is the author of two books: Design and Management of Service Processes published by Prentice-Hall in 1996, and Improving Testing: Applying Process Tools and Techniques to Assure Quality, published by Lawrence Erlbaum in 2007 and many papers on quality improvement.
He holds a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, M.S. and PhD degrees in Civil Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a MPH degree from the Gillings School of Global Public Health and a Graduate Diploma in biostatistics from the University of Sydney.